Remembering Jack Lord


This beautiful scene in the Hudson River Valley of New York was photographed by and is used courtesy of Jack's nephew, Dave Ryan.
You'll find more of Dave's photographs in the Photo Album.

Why do people have to die before you get to know them? *


The Early Years

Jack Lord was born John Joseph Patrick Ryan in Brooklyn, New York, on December 30, 1920, to  Ellen Josephine O'Brien Ryan (1892-1994) and William Lawrence Ryan (1887-1966). Mrs. Ryan was a housewife, who bore five children: William Lawrence Ryan, Jr. (1918-1982), John Joseph Patrick Ryan (1920-1998), Josephine S. Ryan (1923-2001), Thomas H. Ryan (1928-2006), and Robert G. Ryan (1935-2003). Her family owned a fruit orchard in the Hudson River Valley of New York state, where she would return following her husband's death. She took over running the farm and was still running it when she was in her 80s. Jack described his mother as a strong woman, an Irish matriarch, who ran a beautiful home.

According to the 1930 US census, Mr. Ryan was a ship surveyor. It that capacity, he ensured that the company's ships and their cargo were safe. Sources do not say whether he worked for a shipping company or for a government agency such as the Federal Maritime Commission or the New York Port Authority. Most sources say William Lawrence Ryan was a steamship executive; in fact, Jack said his father owned a fleet of five ship with the word "angel" in their names; e.g., "Arch Angel." Turner Classic Movies' (TCM's) biography of Jack goes a step further and says Jack worked as a freighter crewman on his father's ships during hiatus from school while he was a teenager. But, then, there are the census reports, as mentioned above. TCM stated that Mr. Ryan's business suffered badly during The Great Depression. That ties in with a statement Jack made that his father had made and lost two fortunes in shipping. Jack spoke warmly about his father, who was at once both strong and gentle. Mr. Ryan instilled a love of reading in all of his children and paid his children a penny for each line of poetry they memorized. Jack said this later helped him to memorize lines of script.

The Ryans were Irish Catholics. According to Jack, his mother's family, the O'Briens, came from Tipperary, while the Ryans came from County Cork.(Black) Interestingly, his father was born in England (1930 Census).  Although born in Brooklyn, Jack grew up in Queens. Home for the Ryans was at 95-28 125th Street in the middle-class neighborhood of South Richmond Hill. Jack attended grammar school at St. Benedict Joseph Labre School, a Catholic school, and secondary school at John Adams High School. Former teachers and students at John Adams High School described Jack as a quiet, serious young man, who wore suits, won awards for his courtesy, was chosen to host visitors to the school, and dated, but not steadily.


Jack said he was expected to earn his spending money while he was growing up. He did so by delivering the Long Island Daily Press. From the time Jack was fourteen years old, his father sent him out to sea each school holiday to work on freighters. It was time for the boy to learn the ways of being a man. The sea was a rough-and-tumble world, and Jack grew up quickly. Those long ocean voyages took him all around the world, most notably around Africa, the Mediterranean, and China. In his free time, Jack sketched and painted scenes of places he saw along the way.

During his high school years, Jack was very active in school activities. He was an athlete: a senior life saver, played on the varsity football team, and participated in intramural sports. He won a number of awards, including the bronze and silver A's and the honor, meritorious, and distinguished service certificates. He was also secretary of the Newman Club, which was a group for Catholic youth. Jack studied art, and his paintings often hung in the main hallway of the school. He wrote an art column for the school newspaper, worked on the school yearbook, and spent much of his time in the art room. Most notably, he won the St. Gauden's Medal for Fine Art.


Upon graduating from high school in June 1938, Jack spent another summer at sea. Then, he began studying fine arts education at New York University on the Chancellor Chase football scholarship. He played as a sub-tackle. He was business manager of the school publication Trek and was associate editor of Education Violet, the School of Education's yearbook. One summer while in college, he worked as a lifeguard at Manhattan Beach.  Even as he studied, Jack went in with his older brother, Bill, to open the Village Academy of Art in Greenwich Village. His plan was to join Bill, who was making a name for himself as an artist. It was during this time that the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art acquired two of his works, Vermont and Fishing Shacks.

In 1942, Jack married Ann Cicely Willard. Jack described it as a youthful romance and said they married following a whirlwind courtship. The marriage was not a good one, for the couple were young, and Jack was working away from home. They had a child, John J. Ryan, who died at the age of 12 following a brief illness. 

During World War II, Jack helped to build roads and bridges in Persia for the US Army Corps of Engineers and served with the U. S. Maritime Service, first aboard ships. A ship on which he served was torpedoed and sank in seven minutes off the coast of Italy. The ship was en route to pick up a load of manganese ore in East Africa when the attack occurred. Jack was one of few members of the to survive and was not rescued for sixteen hours. At that point, he attended Officer Training School at the Coast Guard training center at Fort Trumbull, Connecticut. He received a commission into the US Maritime Service as an ensign with a third mate's license. From there, Jack was sent by the Maritime Service to Washington, DC, where he served as an artist for a service magazine and helped to make training films. It was there that he discovered a love for acting. 

When Jack returned to New York in 1948, having fully completed his obligations to the Maritime Service, he was nearly 28 years old. He had yet to establish a career for himself. Like many young men, Jack did not know what he was meant to do in life. He had followed his father to sea only to learn that the lifestyle could cost him his marriage and even his life! He had attempted to follow his older brother into art only to learn that one could starve, working piecemeal. Thus, it had been a blessing when he was sent to make training films. He had enjoyed those two years, acting, and knew he wanted to experience more of it. Now, he had a new goal.


Jack Meets Marie

In 1946, while still in service to the US Maritime Service, Jack met the woman who would become the love of his life. It all came about when he was visiting his brother, Bill, near Woodstock, New York. He came across a stone house that caught his interest. Wanting to learn more about it (Some sources say he wanted to buy it), he sought to locate its owner. He learned that the house belonged to Marie L. De Narde, a fashion designer in New York's garment district.

Jack obtained Marie's telephone number and began calling her. For nearly three weeks, she did not return his calls; however, at last, she took the call in an effort to dissuade the tireless Jack from bothering her. She firmly insisted that she was not interested in selling her house and asked him not to call again. Jack insisted that he was not the real-estate agent, John Ryan, who had been pressuring her to sell. He was John Ryan, who was in the Merchant Marine. Oh! Well, that was another matter. She invited him to come to her home that same evening. She had a dinner date, but if he would come early, she would see him before she left to meet her date.

According to some sources, Marie said Jack looked like an ad for Wonder Bread as he stood in her doorway. According to others, he looked like the Greek god, Thor, as he loomed over her petite figure. Even so, she invited him in and told him about the house, which she had designed. After all, as a fashion designer, she knew something about art. He knew about art, too, and had a degree in fine art. The story says they spoke long into the night, falling head over heels with each other with each sentence. She never quite made it to her dinner date.

Jack and Marie were married on January 17, 1949 (One source says January 13, 1948). He was studying acting and trying to break into the profession. Earning little from his efforts, he supported Marie by selling cars, Fords, first, and later, Cadillacs.


The Middle Years

First, a word about his name. How did John Joseph Patrick Ryan become "Jack Lord"? Jack offered several explanations, and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of them. In the first place, a "Jack Ryan" was already registered with the actor's union. In the second place, Jack said the name "Ryan" made him sound like a police commissioner (I wonder if he would have kept the name if he had known he would become best known while portraying a chief investigator?). That's understandable; after all, Irish immigrants quite often did become policemen. Jack said he drew from his family tree for the name "Lord." He did not, however, change his name legally; "Jack Lord" existed only as his professional name.

Although Jack's first film was released in 1949, his name did not really begin attracting attention until about 1953. By then, he was appearing as a guest star on television theater programs, such as Alcoa Presents. In a letter to family friend and entertainment writer Paul Denis, Marie wrote in 1957, "Jack will be on 'Climax' this Thursday, June 6... plays a prize fighter with a Brooklyn accent." Also in 1953, Jack appeared in the off-Broadway production, Little Hut. In 1954, he appeared in the Broadway production, The Traveling Lady for which he won the Theatre World Award. It was soon followed by his performance in the Broadway production of Tennessee Williams' Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. And, then, the film offers began coming in. In 1955, he appeared with Gary Cooper in The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell. It was followed in 1958 by his starring role in Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot, which he made for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Jack felt his name was catching on and that it was time to move to Hollywood, where he would have a better chance to appear on television and in movies. It was a decision that proved to be not altogether wise, for in Hollywood, he had to start all over again. Hollywood didn't care about his Broadway work, after all. Even so, his work in The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell and Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot gave him a start. Soon, he was appearing again with Gary Cooper in Man of the West. Other movies followed, including God's Little Acre, the film adaptation of Erskine Caldwell's novel. In 1962, Jack portrayed Felix Leiter in the first James Bond thriller, Dr. No. It was followed quickly by an offer to have his own television series. Leslie Stevens was creating his first television series and thought Jack would make a good Stoney Burke. He did. Unfortunately, the series lasted only a single season.

Jack hit a slump after the cancellation of Stoney Burke. After all, he had been riding high, seemingly unable to miss. For the first time since 1950, when theatrical agents had failed to be impressed with the striking, yet untrained, actor-to-be, Jack had to face rejection -- at least, what felt like rejection to him.  By his own admission, Jack handled it badly. He might have thrown in the towel, except that Marie reminded him that "It's not what happens in life  but how one responds to what happens that counts."

Jack began to pull himself together. Once again, he was in his studio, painting. He took voice lessons, put together a musical group called The Wanderers, and toured the rodeo circuit for his Stoney Burke fans. And he wrote. In all, he wrote five scripts, which he sold to Universal. And, then, he returned to television. Between 1965 and 1968, he guest starred in popular series, such as 12 O'Clock High and The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and starred in made-for-television movies, such as The Counterfeit Killer and The Doomsday Flight. In each, he played roles that, looking back, were nothing short of training sessions for the television show that would put him over the top, Hawaii Five-0.


Hawaii Five-0

For Jack, Hawaii Five-0 was a love-hate experience. He loved McGarrett, who shared his values. The role allowed him to put much of himself into his work, so much so that those who knew Jack described McGarrett as an "amped-up" version of Jack.

The pressures of co-producing a television series were both rewarding and challenging for Jack. On the one hand, he enjoyed being an unofficial ambassador of the State of Hawai'i, meeting with government and tourism leaders, appearing at public functions, and helping to entertain foreign dignitaries. He also enjoyed adding his creative talents to the scripts, which often arrived in less than polished form. He did not enjoy being seen as an egoistical tyrant. Perhaps, that would have been less of a problem if those around him had known that he was a co-owner and co-producer and not just a fellow cast member.

The pressures increased dramatically after series creator and executive producer Leonard Freeman died halfway through the series. More of the executive duties fell on his shoulders. More than ever, it was up to him to see that a 52-minute episode was completed every eight days. In addition, Jack directed one episode in six of the twelve seasons. He also liaised between Hawai'i and Hollywood. In fact, he had a direct telephone line to the West Coast. In addition, he helped to publicize not only Hawaii Five-0 but also other CBS shows that filmed in the Islands.

Jack loved the Hawaiian people and the experience of living in Hawai'i. So much so that, after the success of the first season, when he felt that the series would last, he and his wife purchased a large condominium in the upscale neighborhood of Kahala and claimed it would be the last place they ever lived (It was!). Hawai'i felt the same about him; both the Republican and Democratic parties asked him to run for governor (He declined).



When the series ended, Jack retired from acting and returned to private life. Contrary to what some people believe -- since he was rarely seen in public -- he did not become a recluse. Rather, he turned his interests to his art and to civic and charity work. He gave of his time to visitation of hospitalized children and veterans, the handicapped, and the disadvantaged. At the end of his life, he left his entire estate to a trust fund to benefit the people of Hawai'i.

Jack and Marie traveled extensively across nearly every continent, but perhaps especially in Asia. From his years in the Merchant Marine, Jack had loved that part of the world. One year, Jack presented a Golden Bell Award for best actress; it was Taiwan's equivalent to the Oscar.

Each year, Jack and Marie flew home to New York to visit old friends, see Broadway plays, and do some shopping. They never lost track of their friends from his early days as an actor and were invited to attend awards ceremonies even when distance meant they were unable to attend. According to the keeper of the Ilikai Hotel Five-0 Tribute page on Facebook, Jack and Marie often entertained friends from New York and Los Angeles, who visited the Islands. Their friends, like themselves, were active in the arts.

As the sun set on his life, Jack continued to take walks along Kahala Beach. With one of his lauhala hats perched atop his head and a newly acquired walking stick in hand, he made his way along beside the crystal clear aqua waters that had been his home for thirty years. And, when he died, he had his ashes scattered in those waters.


Jack and Marie are seen at a social function in the post-Hawaii Five-0 years.

Photographer unknown. No copyright mark on original transparency. No date given.

Deemed to be in the public domain as per Copyright Notice Circular 3, Revised 09/2017. US Copyright Office, Library of Congress.

Jack's Siblings

As a boy I was blessed with an atmosphere of joy and understanding in my home. We had a

large family and we were a very happy bunch. My father and mother guided us with love.

Their good example was a beacon light. They never spoiled us. We had our obligations,

chores to do -- then certain privileges. My parents made it clear to us that we always had

the choice between right and wrong. That nobody could force us to do anything against our will.  

                                                                                                                       ~ Jack Lord 

                                   (Maddox, Tex. "Jack Lord's Rebel Life" in Movie Life. July 1963.

Jack had four siblings, William Lawrence Ryan, Jr., Josephine S. Ryan, Thomas H. Ryan,  and Robert G. Ryan.

William Lawrence "Bill" Ryan, Jr. (1918-1982) achieved success as an artist. While studying at New York University, he and Jack ran an art school in Greenwich Village, the Village Academy of Art. 

During the summer of 1936, Bill studied art under the eminent George Pearse Ennis at Ennis' art school in Eastport, Maine. The area provided ideal settings for painting the Fundy Coast with its New England fishermen. Sadly, in August of that year, Mr. Ennis and his wife were involved in a traffic accident. Mr. Ennis was killed, and his wife was seriously injured.

In addition to painting in Maine, Bill is known to have painted up and down the Atlantic seaboard, as far south as the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia; in Oaxaca, Mexico; in the Caribbean, especially Bimini, Bahamas; and in Ireland and Wales.

Like Jack, Bill was a commissioned officer in the US Merchant Marines in which he served during World War II. Also like Jack, Bill sketched and painted the scenes he saw while he was at sea. Some of those works were included in the 2nd Annual Merchant Seamen's Art Exhibition at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington (1943). Bill Ryan's work also has been displayed in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Grand Central Art Galleries, both in New York City. Most recently, several of Bill's works were displayed at the Cornell Street Studios in Kingston, New York.

Bill Ryan was head art director at an advertising agency in New York City. He was married to Elizabeth Towler Ryan and was the father of two sons, William III and David. He is buried in the Ryan family plot in Linlithgo, New York.  See Bill's paintings:

Josephine S. Ryan (1923-2001). Very little is known about Jack's only sister. She attended John Adams High School and is said to have taught at a teachers' college in western Connecticut. Josephine is buried in the Ryan family plot in Linlithgo, New York.

Thomas H. Ryan (1928-2006). Like Bill, Jack and Josephine, Thomas attended John Adams High School. He went on to study law at New York University and served in military intelligence during World War II and the Korean War. After the war, he served as Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the State of New York, as an entertainment lawyer at CBS, and as private entertainment lawyer. He served as legal counsel and co-producer of the controversial NBC political satire, That Was the Week That Was. He was married to Shirley and had four daughters, Patricia, Sharon, Mary and Sheila, and five grandchildren. He is buried in Spring Lake, New Jersey.

Robert G. Ryan (1935-2003). Like Bill, Jack, Josephine, and Thomas, Robert attended John Adams High School. He studied law at New York Law School and practiced immigration law. His wife's name was Edith. They had two children, a daughter, Kelly, and a son, Patrick. Robert is buried in the Ryan family plot in Linlithgo, New York.

Additional Reading Material

Richmond Hill Historical Society.

St. Benedict Joseph Labre Parish / Church / School.

John Adams High School


Public High School Closure.

Today’s STEM School.

New York University


Fine Arts Education.

US Maritime Service Officer Candidate School

Neighborhood Playhouse

The Actors Studio

Broadway Theater

The Broadway League.


Turtle Bay, Midtown Manhattan



212 East 48th Street, Manhattan

Listing / History.

Granville Towers / Voltaire Apartments


General w/ Pictures.

1935 Fire.

Kahala Beach Apartments


Many thanks to Park Lane and Karen S., who assisted with the research on this page.

* Dan Gardiner (Jack Lord) in "Father Image." One Step Beyond. Joseph M. Schenck Enterprises / ABC Television, 1959.